Saturday, December 19, 2020
Conditions were not ideal in any sense of the word today. I didn’t have a paddling partner, the wind was medium, and it was raining. But I did have a green light to go out for an afternoon paddle as our boys were preoccupied with two brand new kittens.
I had been keeping an eye on the weather so I knew I would be able to do a mini-downwinder on the south coast of Burrard Inlet. I double-checked the conditions and there was some wind coming from the northeast. I planned to head to the Jericho Sailing Club and paddle east towards Kitsilano Beach. Depending on how far I got I would have a small little downwinder to finish on.
DATE: Saturday Dec. 19, 2020
ROUTE: Burrard Inlet: Jericho to Kits Beach (round trip)
EST. DEP.: 1345
EST. ARR.: 1515
- 1001 High 4.9 m
- 1621 Low 3.1 m
- Forecast: see windy.com app
- Southeasterly (ESE, E) 9-11, 11 kt (13-17, 17-18 kt wind gusts)
Paddle Distance ~7 km
Paddle Time ~1.5 hrs
- TRAVELLERS: 1 (Mon Jef Peeters)
- VEHICLE: [Colour] [Year] [Make] [Model] [License Plate]
- PHONE: [xxx-xxx-xxxx]
The wind was pretty fierce, but the chop was easily manageable. I decided to head straight into the headwind towards a moored barge in the distance and then I would turn around.
I came across a group of Laser sailboats who I think were doing a lesson. It was nice to see that I wasn’t the only one fiending to get out on the water. I decided to take a few pictures.
It was a slog into the headwind. Just after passing the sailors, I decided to see if kneeling on my board would make me advance any easier. It was easier to paddle but I am not sure I was going any faster. I alternated between kneeling and standing a couple of times before setting my sights on the barge for my turn around point.
As soon as I turned it was as if the wind was gone. On a few occasions, I felt it pick up. There wasn’t enough swell to catch any real waves, but a few small ones have me a little ride. And for sure my pace was significantly faster. And the stats here show what I was feeling on the water. I was twice as fast coming back as I was going out.
I have the green light to do a paddle tomorrow so Trevor and I are going to try our luck downwinding in Boundary Bay!